Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pecan Molasses Bundt Cake with Bourbon Glaze

My dear old Granny’s birthday is coming up! I knew I had to send her something… it took me a while to figure out what to make her. First I though of chocolate, then coffee, then it hit me right on the head it’s gonna be BOURBON! I’ll admit this cake is sinful as hell but oh so good, and the only reason I know is because the first cake turned into a disaster and it was deemed unsendable to Granny. Not a disaster taste-wise, but appearance wise. When I flipped the bundt cake over, half came out and the top part of the cake stayed in the pan, and I tried to salvage the other half but it became sort of a big crumbly mess. Lesson learned. Now I’m going to explain the bundt cake making rules to you.


1) Butter and flour the pan. (I PAMed the first one) – if you try to mix PAM and flour it becomes a giant goopy mess- so butter it is

2) When cake comes of oven- put on wire rack, air needs to circulate around the entire cake so the bottom doesn’t become moist laden with steam

3) After about 15 minutes- take a sharp knife and go around edge and make sure nothing is sticking too much. Then put plate on top of cake and FLIP and pray to cake gods that it turns out ok!


The good news is that my dad ate the ugly cake for breakfast and dessert and I gave about half of it to my friends to relief my dad of some the cholesterol. And I made another big mistake; I used SCOTCH instead of bourbon. I looked in our liquor cabinet and didn’t see anything that said bourbon, but I knew bourbon is a type of whiskey… so I smelled the whiskey that we had and thought it smelled similar to bourbon. Boy was I wrong, now I know scotch ¹ bourbon, but it still turned out SO GOOD with scotch, this cake would taste good with any liquor as a matter of fact.

So messing up this cake was a blessing in disguise, we got to sample the Pecan Molasses Bundt Cake with Bourbon Glaze and god forbid I could not send Granny her birthday cake made with Scotch!  Happy Birthday Granny, I love you!   


1 comment:

  1. Haha I love this post. You can always count on your sweet daddy to love anything you bake, perfect or not!

    ReplyDelete