Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Grain with Seasonal Vegetables and Cilantro Dressing

Last night, we had a winter storm warning and was supposed to snow all night and throughout the day today.  I was expecting to wake up with a couple of feet of snow, but thankfully when I opened my window I saw it only had snowed about 8 inches.  I don’t want to get snowed in the city!  I only have six more days in NYC, so with food I am just trying to use up everything I’ve already got. 

I don’t really know what to name this dish, because I have made many versions of this dish.  I’m going to name it Grain with Seasonal Vegetables and Cilantro Dressing.  I often crave it because it is sooo good; it is definitely the cilantro dressing that makes it!  If I know I will have a busy week ahead of me, I will make a batch of this, and leftovers are perfect for packing for lunches or dinner. 

This time I used wheat berries, because that’s what I had on hand.  Wheat berries have an incredibly hearty texture and is very filling.  Wheat berries are a great source of protein and dietary fiber, so if you have never tried this grain, I encourage you to do so!  I have made this dish using brown rice and quinoa, both resulting in delicious dishes as well. 

Grain with Seasonal Vegetables and Cilantro Dressing

1)      Cook about 1 cup (dried) of grain (wheat berries, brown rice, or quinoa) according to the package instructions.
2)      Roast favorite seasonal veggies in oven with olive oil and salt at 400° until nicely caramelized - For this dish I used red onion, sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts. 
3)      Make cilantro dressing- In blender, blend about 1 heaping cup of cilantro (almost an entire bunch), 2 cloves garlic, 1 lemon juiced, ½ tsp salt, and 1 TB honey.  Blend and slowly add about ¼ cup olive oil until resembles a dressing.  Taste! Add more seasoning or lemon if needed. 
4)      Toss together the grain, vegetables, and cilantro dressing, and reserved chopped cilantro in a large bowl. 
5)      Optional: Top with toasted walnuts if desired. 


No comments:

Post a Comment